Tuesday 3 May 2011

Talking to Strangers



Experiment Test  : Talking to Strangers
Soho and Leicester Square


For this experiment  I targeted people who were sitting or standing on their own and initiated conversation. On average each conversation lasted around 3 mins.
An observation I made was that I didn't find any girls who were on their own. 


New York Steve : 2.41mins


Killing time before leaving for the airport back to new york.
We spoke about the lack of wifi in starbucks, he asked me for a cigarette. We talked about the price of cigarettes. We introduced ourselves. I spoke about Chile. He practiced some basic spanish "Hola me llamo steve, tengo 35 anos". He got suspicious. I had to meet a friend.


Jersey Boy Daniel : 2.24 mins


Worked as a singer in the Jersey Boys Production originally from Cardiff.
We spoke about the weather. Introduced ourselves. Where we were from, Chile being a bit more exotic than Wales. What I did in London. Jersey Boys.  I had to meet a friend.


Mysterious Canadian Teacher : 1:06 mins


Canadian Teacher in London for a week on business, definitely not a royalist.
Asked to sit down. Talked about the wedding, soho street party. His Job. London as a city to live in. Said goodbye.


Royal Wedding Rhys : 3.08 mins


Rhys from Cardiff, in London on holiday to visit friends. Going to the theatre that evening.
Asked to sit down. Resistance in communicating at first. Asked where he was from. Talked about the wedding, he had a lot to say. I had to meet a friend.


Film Guru Serif : 4.37 mins


Media Studies teacher Serif from London. Reading a book on the works of Francis Coppola
Sat down. He asked me how my day was. I asked him where he was from what he did. Enquired about the book he was reading. He went through and showed me images from Apocalypse now, it wasn't filmed in vietnam apparently. His friend Arrived, we said goodbye.


Ian McEwen fan Chris : 3.52 mins


Chris from London, waiting for his friend who was late going to the theatre. Likes to read.
Talked about people being late. Talked about how it wasn't shorts weather. Asked him what book he was reading, he wasn't enjoying it but was going to carry on anyway. Asked if ive read Ian McEwen's Solar. Said yes, i'm up to the point where he's accidentally killed his wifes lover and has managed to get away with it. He told me the ending disappointed him. I should read his other book. I had to meet a friend.





No comments:

Post a Comment